Various conditions must be met to form a political party.
It is first necessary to complete
an application for authorization that contains the following information among others:
- the name of the party;
- the address of domicile of the leader of the party and his telephone number;
- the name, address and telephone number of at least two officers of the party other than the leader;
- the address to which the party’s communications shall be sent;
- the address where the books and accounts regarding the party’s funds, expenses and loans will be kept;
- the name, address and telephone number of the official representative, his delegate, the official agent and his deputy;
- the name of the auditor of the party;
- the address of the party’s permanent office, if any;
- the name of the municipality in whose territory the party intends to carry out its activities.
The application for authorization of a political party must also be accompanied with:
- a schedule containing the names, addresses, membership card numbers and expiry dates, as well as the signatures of electors of the municipality who are in favour of the application and who are members of the party. The minimum number of signatures is as follows:
- 100, in the case of a municipality with a population of 100,000 or more;
- 50, in the case of a municipality with a population of 50,000 or more but less than 100,000;
- 25, in the case of a municipality with a population of 5,000 or more but less than 50,000.
Verification of the information provided
The information contained in the application is checked by us, especially the members who support the application. To do this, a form is mailed to every member whose name appears on the appendix to the application for authorization. The time it takes to authorize a political party depends on how promptly members reply to our request for confirmation.
Period for processing
The time required to do the verification depends on the number of members required, which depends on the number of inhabitants in the municipality in which the party intends to conduct its activities. The period for processing of a request for authorization from a municipal political party may vary from a few weeks (for a municipality with fewer than 50,000 inhabitants) to approximately two months (for a municipality with 100,000 inhabitants or more). The authorization could thus be granted when the number of electors required confirm that they are members of the party.