Home > Municipal > RAPEQ > How to request an authorization > Political party > Obtain an authorization

Obtain an authorization

See field: provincial

Necessity of obtaining an authorization

A political party wishing to solicit or collect contributions, incur expenses or contract loans must obtain an authorization from us. This authorization is necessary only in a municipality with 5,000 inhabitants or more. The authorization process is not restrictive and in no way does it seek to control or even evaluate the party’s platform and policies.

Length of the validity of an authorization

The authorization of a political party remains valid insofar as the party pays its bills in the six months following their receipt, pays the interest owing annually and submits the stipulated information, reports and returns in accordance with the Act respecting elections and referendums in municipalities.

The withdrawal of an authorization by us

Any failure by a political party to respect its obligations under the Act respecting elections and referendums in municipalities may lead to the withdrawal of its authorization. When we are planning to withdraw our authorization from a party, we must give the party the opportunity to be heard during a hearing.