The mission of the Directeur général des élections du Québec is notably to ensure the holding of elections and to guarantee the full exercise of election rights.
When he oversees the application of the Election Act, the Directeur général des élections du Québec shall, among other things:
- See to the recruitment and training of election officers.
- Ensure the updating of the information found on the permanent list of electors and the revision of the list of electors.
- Organize the poll and oversee its unfolding.
- Receive complaints and make inquiry if he deems it necessary.
- Inform electors about the provisions of the Act and its application.
- Adapt the Act in cases of emergency or under exceptional circumstances.
As for the financing of political parties and the control of election expenses, the Directeur général des élections du Québec shall notably:
- Authorize parties, party authorities, members and independent candidates, and check if all of these stakeholders comply with the provisions of the Act.
- Receive and examine financial reports and returns of election expenses
- Make inquiry into the legality of an authorized entity, contributions and election expenses.
What the Act says >>
Texts of sections 486, 487, 488 and 490 of the Election Act