Home > Provincial > Candidate > Becoming a candidate

Becoming a candidate

See field: municipal, school board

With just a few exceptions identified in the Election Act, anyone who has the right to vote can run for office. In any given election, no one may run in more than one electoral division.

Completing your nomination paper

You can obtain a nomination form at the main office of the returning officer in your electoral division. Along with your name and contact information, you must enter the following information:

  • the name of your official agent;
  • the name of your party, if you are a candidate of an authorized party;
  • your choice as to whether you want to be listed as "independent", if you are not running for an authorized party.

You must enclose with your nomination paper:

  • a photograph that meets the requirement set out in the Nomination Regulation and which you have signed on the back;
  • your birth certificate or one of the following pieces of identification: a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, passport, driver's licence or health insurance card, along with a copy of any name change order;
  • the signatures and home addresses of at least 100 electors who are entered on the list of electors for the electoral division in which you are running as a candidate (signatures must have been collected in advance by you or one of your mandataries and will be checked against the list of electors drawn up at the time of the writ of election).
  • If you are running for a party, you must also provide a letter in which your party leader states that you are the official party candidate in the electoral division in question.

Filing your nomination paper

Once you have completed the form and gathered the required documents, you can file your nomination paper at the office of the returning officer:

  • no earlier than 2 p.m. on the second day following the issue of the writ of election;
  • no later than 2 p.m. on the 16th day preceding election day.