Home > Provincial > RAPEQ > How to request an authorization > Political party > Obtain an authorization

Obtain an authorization

See field: municipal

Authorization requirement

A political party wishing to solicit or collect contributions, incur expenses or contract loans must obtain an authorization from the Chief Electoral Officer. The authorization process is not restrictive and in no way does it seek to control or even evaluate the party’s platform and policies.

Authorization period

The authorization of a political party remains valid insofar as the party pays its bills in the six months following their receipt, pays any interest owing annually and submits the information, reports and returns required under the Electoral Act.

Withdrawal of authorization by the Chief Electoral Officer

Any failure by a political party to respect its obligations under the Electoral Act may lead to the withdrawal of its authorization.

If there is no party candidate for an election

An authorized political party that does not present a candidate during a general election or by-election may choose to act as a private intervenor. The party must notify us in that event.