Home > School board > RAPEQ > How to request an authorization > Candidate


School candidates must obtain an authorization to solicit or receive contributions, incur election expenses or contract loans.

Who grants the authorization?

The authorization is granted by the returning officer of the school board to any elector who is committed to running as a candidate, as from January 1st of the year in which the general elections in the school board are held or, in the case of a by-election, from the day when the position becomes vacant. It can also be granted at any time during the election period, until polling day.

Form a ticket

It is worth noting that the Act respecting school elections forbids the creation of political parties. However, candidates with common interests may form a ticket recognized by the returning officer. In this light, a ticket must present to the returning officer, within the prescribed deadline, a written application for recognition. The name of the ticket, if any, appears under the candidate's name on the ballot paper.

Information required

A candidate must provide the following information to obtain an authorization:

  • his name, the address of his domicile and his telephone number;
  • the name of the school board in the Council of Commissioners in which he intends to run;
  • the address where the books and accounts relating to the funds that he would obtain as a candidate, expenses that he will incur and loans that he will contract are kept.

A candidate does not have to appoint an official representative or an official agent, unlike in the case of a provincial or municipal election. Furthermore, he must ensure that the information that we hold about him is accurate and transmit us any modifications.

Candidate and financing

The authorized candidate may:

  • solicit or collect contributions;
  • participate financially in his campaign up to a maximum of $300 a year, which amount can be increased by an additional $700 during an election year (for a $1,000 maximum);
  • lend money to his campaign up to a maximum annual amount of $10,000 (loan and suretyship);
  • contract loans with third parties;
  • incur election expenses;
  • pay an election expense himself.

He must also:

  • issue contribution receipts to contributors or make sure that these receipts are issued to them;
  • ensure that contributions comply with the provisions of the Act;
  • deposit the sums collected during political activities or rallies;
  • pay annually the interest on loans;
  • submit a financial report and, where applicable, the additional financial report;
  • make sure that every payment of election expenses is supported by an invoice and that the going market price is paid;
  • make sure that all advertising bears the remark "Authorized by: name of the candidate";
  • make sure that the limit on election expenses is respected;
  • file a return of election expenses.