Skip to content

Eight things to know about political contributions in Québec

19 December 2022

Categories: Financing, expenses, and contributions, Provincial

  1. You must be an elector to make a contribution, which can take the form of a monetary donation, a service rendered or a good provided free of charge.
  2. To receive a contribution, a candidate or a political party must be authorized by the Chief Electoral Officer.
  3. The official representative of a party, an authority, an authorized independent candidate or an authorized independent member is responsible for solicitation. Anyone else who solicits your money must hold a canvasser’s certificate. Ask to see the certificate.
  4. You can make a maximum annual contribution of $100 to each political party, to each authorized independent candidate and to each authorized independent member. You can also contribute up to an additional $100 in a general election year or when a by-election is held in your electoral division.
  5. No legal person may provide a good or service free of charge to a candidate or party. This would be considered a non-compliant contribution.
  6. You must be given a contribution slip. You must sign it to confirm that you are making the contribution out of your own property, voluntarily, without compensation or consideration, and that it will not be refunded in any way.
  7. Your name, your postal code, your municipality of domicile, the amount you pay and the political entity that receives your contribution will be published on the Élections Québec website.
  8. Only contributions of $50 or less can be paid in cash. All contributions of more than $50 must be paid by cheque or personal credit card.
The Charter of the French language and its regulations govern the consultation of English-language content.

Stay up to date

Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our latest news and press releases by email.