Home > Provincial > Candidate > Independent candidates

Independent candidates

If you are an independent candidate, specific rules apply to your situation.

Obtaining authorization

If you wish to solicit or collect contributions, pay election expenses or contract loans through your official agent and representative, you must first obtain authorization to do so. To request authorization, complete the application for authorization or the Authorization of an Independent Candidate section of the Nomination Paper. This authorization can be granted:

  • by the Chief Electoral Officer to any elector who agrees to run as an independent candidate following the expiry of a three-year period after receipt of the list of candidates declared elected in the most recent general election or, in the case of a by-election, as of the day on which the position becomes vacant;
  • by the electoral division's returning officer, if the application for authorization is made during the election period.

If you file your application for authorization before filing your nomination paper, you must also provide the signatures and addresses of at least 100 electors in your electoral division who declare their support for you. The same signatures cannot be used for your nomination paper. (See the Becoming a Candidate section.) However, electors may sign both documents.

Information required for the authorization

An independent candidate who wishes to receive authorization must provide the following information:

  • his or her name, domiciliary address and telephone number;
  • the name of the electoral division where he or she is running as a candidate;
  • the address to which communications intended for the candidate are to be sent;
  • the address where the books and accounts pertaining to the funds that he or she will receive as a candidate, the expenses that he or she will incur and the loans that he or she will contract will be kept;
  • the name, address and telephone number of his or her official representative.

Independent candidate must ensure that all information concerning them in the register of authorized political entities of Québec (RAPEQ) is up to date.

Your official representative is your official agent

Your application for authorization calls for the appointment of an official representative, who is also your official agent. Both these roles are critical to your campaign. (See In short, the official representative... and In short, the official agent...).

Once you have obtained your authorization, the sums collected pursuant to the Act by your official agent and representative will constitute your election fund.

Independent candidates and financing

An independent candidate can:

  • solicit or collect contributions if he or she is expressly authorized in writing by his or her official representative;
  • support his or her campaign financially by making a contribution to his or her official representative. However, any such contribution must respect the annual limit (a maximum amount of $100 per civil year, along with an additional maximum amount of $100 in an election period). The official representative must fill out a contribution slip and have the declaration signed by the candidate;
  • lend money for his or her campaign or serve as surety for the campaign.

An independent candidate cannot:

  • contract loans (only an official representative may do so);
  • incur election expenses (only an official agent may do so), although he or she can incur expenses of a personal nature;
  • pay election expenses himself or herself (only an official agent can do so).

For more information, see the Election contributions and Election expenses sections.

Expiry of the authorization

If a candidate is not elected, the authorization expires no later than December 31 of the year following the year of the election. This authorization serves solely to collect contributions that will be used to pay any debts arising from previously incurred election expenses.

If an independent candidate has been elected, the authorization expires when he or she ceases to sit in the National Assembly as an authorized independent candidate, unless he or she runs again as an authorized independent candidate.