Skip to content

We use cookies and certain third-party tools to ensure optimal website performance, adjust settings, obtain statistics, and display content. You can deactivate elements that may collect personal information, but you will lose access to some content. To learn more, customize your preferences or consult our Privacy policy.

Other voting options

You are a student


In a provincial general election, you can vote for one of the candidates of your home electoral division directly at your educational institution if it has a polling station.

Vocational training centres and post-secondary educational institutions (CEGEPs, colleges, and universities) with at least 300 student electors may host a polling station.

Who can vote there?

  • Students of the institution
  • Staff members
  • Voters in the institution

Normally, these polling stations open ten days before the election, so the first day of voting is a Friday. Voting will continue through Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of the following week. The schedule is posted in each institution.

List of educational institutions where it is possible to vote

In the event of an election, full details are posted on this page.

In a by-election, you cannot vote at your educational institution.

Local and schedule are subject to change without notice. You may contact the returning officer of the school electoral division to confirm this information.

Requirements to vote at your educational institution

Being 18 years old is not the only condition for voting. It is your responsibility to ensure that your name is entered on the list of electors at your home address.

Check your entry online now!

Entering your name on the list of electors or changing your entry

If your name is not on the list of electors or if you need to make a change of address, go to the polling station in your educational institution. You will be able to register or change your entry and vote at the same time! Bring the required supporting documents.

Wondering what your home address is? Here are some examples to help you determine this.

  • You live with your parents in Chicoutimi. Your mail is sent to them and the address on your driver’s licence is the family home, but you are temporarily residing in Montreal for your studies. You will be able to vote at your educational institution, in Montreal, for a candidate of the electoral division of Chicoutimi.
  • You have moved to Montreal and consider your new apartment your primary residence. You use this address on your tax return and you have made your address changes. You will vote at your educational institution, in Montreal, for a candidate of the electoral division where your apartment is located.
  • You are originally from Ottawa and you live in Lévis for your studies. You intend to return to Ontario and have kept your Ontario driver’s licence and your Ontario health card. In this case, you will not be able to vote in Quebec, since you do not meet the necessary conditions to vote.

These examples are given for guidance only: each situation must be analysed on an individual basis.

Other resources

The Charter of the French language and its regulations govern the consultation of English-language content.

Was this page useful to you?

  • Do not enter any personal information (name, e-mail, address, phone number, etc.).
  • We do not respond to comments. If you would like a response, please contact us.