Skip to content

We use cookies and certain third-party tools to ensure optimal website performance, adjust settings, obtain statistics, and display content. You can deactivate elements that may collect personal information, but you will lose access to some content. To learn more, customize your preferences or consult our Privacy policy.


Other voting options


Élections Québec wants to make voting accessible to everyone. We provide options that may make it easier for you to vote or meet your specific needs.


Some municipalities offer other voting options such as voting by mail for voters outside of their riding. To find out what options are available, ask your returning officer.

Voting in your room or apartment

If you are in a residential care centre or a health care institution, you can make a written application to vote in your room or apartment and to change your registration on the list of electors. Contact your municipal returning officer for more information. Election officers will come to your room or apartment so that you can exercise your right to vote.

Only electors domiciled or residing in a hospital centre, in a residential and long-term care centre (CHSLD), in a rehabilitation centre or in a private residence for seniors who are entered in the register of electors established under the Act respecting health services and social services are eligible for this special measure.

Three easy steps

1. Check that your name is on the list of electors

To ensure that your name is on the list of electors at the address of the residential care centre or health establishment, please consult the registration notice sent by the municipality.

You can also contact your returning officer to verify this.

On election day, you will not be able to register or change your address.

2. Make a written request

Fill out the form and send it to the municipality before the deadline.

To register your name on the list of electors, or for a change of address, you must enclose a photocopy of two documents with your application that include:

  1. Your name and date of birth (birth certificate, health insurance card, passport, etc.)
  2. Your name and the address of the health care centre or facility (certificate from the centre, driver's licence, telephone or electricity bill, etc.).

3. Make a note of the day and time of your appointment

The returning officer will confirm when the election officials will visit your room or apartment to allow you to vote.

Need help voting?

The election officials can help you vote in one of two ways.

  • They can provide you with a template to help you vote yourself.
  • If this option does not suit you, they can mark your ballot paper for you.

And if you are a person with hearing impairment, an interpreter can accompany you.


You are unable to move about

If you are unable to move about easily and you are currently living in a residential and long-term care centre or in a private seniors' residence, you can register on the list of electors, make changes to your entry and vote without having to go out.

These special measures are exclusively reserved for electors residing in long-term residential care facilities or a private seniors' residences listed in the register kept under the Act respecting health services and social services.

To take advantage of this program, or for more information, contact the returning officer of your English-language school board.

Other resources

The Charter of the French language and its regulations govern the consultation of English-language content.

Was this page useful to you?

  • Do not enter any personal information (name, e-mail, address, phone number, etc.).
  • We do not respond to comments. If you would like a response, please contact us.