Fill out an application to register to vote outside Québec.
Your application must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. EST, on [day -19].
You can register to vote outside Québec in two ways:
- Online, through a secure web service: Application to register to vote outside Québec
- By mail or fax, using the Application to register to vote outside Québec (PDF)
In either case, you must attach a copy of two pieces of identification and proof of your presence outside Québec, where applicable.
To vote outside Québec during a business or leisure trip, for example, you must:
- Have been domiciled in Québec for at least 12 consecutive months prior to your departure
- Intend to return to Québec
- Be outside Québec for less than two years or have a work assignment outside Québec as a part of your employment position with:
- The Government of Québec or the Government of Canada
- An international organization of which Québec or Canada is a member and to which it makes a contribution
- The Canadian Armed Forces
To vote in an election or referendum, you must meet certain conditions:
- You must be 18 years of age or older on election day
- You must be a Canadian citizen
- You must not have lost your election rights
Assignment outside Québec
If you are posted outside Québec, your spouse and dependants who meet the general conditions for voting and who live with you can also vote by mail. You must complete an application form for each person who wishes to vote by mail and attach proof of your posting outside Québec.
A primer on voting outside Québec
Once you have registered and the election has been called, you will receive the materials you need to vote:
- Instructions on how to vote
- A blank ballot paper, on which you yourself will write the name of the candidate for whom you wish to vote
- Three envelopes
Later, you will receive a list of candidates.
We must receive your ballot no later than 8:00 p.m. on [day 0].
You must pay the cost of sending your ballot to Québec. All envelopes sent collect on delivery (C.O.D.) will be refused. You may choose the shipping method you prefer. However, we must receive your ballot paper in time for the counting of the votes on polling day.
Returning to Québec earlier or later than expected
If you return to Québec earlier or later than expected, you must inform us. You will no longer be able to vote by mail as of the return date you provided on your application to vote outside Québec. As of that date, you will have to vote in Québec at a polling station. If you return earlier than expected without notifying us, you will not be able to vote in Québec. We will send your ballot to the address you provided in your application.