Skip to content

We use cookies and certain third-party tools to ensure optimal website performance, adjust settings, obtain statistics, and display content. You can deactivate elements that may collect personal information, but you will lose access to some content. To learn more, customize your preferences or consult our Privacy policy.

Other voting options

You live in a residential and long-term care centre or a private seniors’ residence


Élections Québec teams will visit residential and long-term care centres as well as private seniors' residence so that you do not have to go to another location to vote. You may vote in the common area, if a polling station is set up there, or in your room.

In this section

Are you on the list of electors?

If you are not registered on the list of electors, you can register before you vote. Here are three easy ways to check your registration:

Your establishment has a polling station

In the common area of several health care facilities and private seniors’ residences listed on the register of the ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux, residents may:

  • Register or make changes to their entry on the list of electors
  • Vote in the advance poll

The days and times for registering or changing one’s entry on the list of electors and for voting are posted for residents to see. The team will visit approximately one week before election day, according to the schedule.

If you are temporarily residing in such an institution, you must apply to vote there. Call or write to your returning officer no later than [day -14]. You must be registered on the list of electors at your home address, even if you live in another electoral division. You will vote for a candidate in your electoral division.

You are unable to get to the common area

If you are unable to get to the common area, you may request to vote in your room or apartment. Simply write or call the returning officer of your electoral division no later than [day -14]. You can also ask someone to inform the team that will be in the common area that you wish to vote in your unit.

Your establishment does not have a polling station

Some long-term care centres or private seniors’ residences do not have polling stations in their common areas. There are three ways to check if your facility does.

In the event of an election, full details are posted on this page.

If your facility does not have a polling station, you can still register to the list of electors or change your registration and vote in your room or apartment if you request it.

  • To vote, to register to the list of electors or to change your entry, request that a team come to your room or apartment. You must make this request to your returning officer by phone or in writing. This person must receive your request by [day -14]. He or she will inform you of the day and time the team will come to your home.
  • If a team visits your centre or residence so that other electors can vote, you may ask someone to inform this team that you wish to vote in your room.

Whether you vote in a common area, in your room or in your apartment, you will need to show a piece of identification to vote.

In addition, to register or change your entry on the list of electors, you must show two pieces of identification that together prove your identity and address.

You can also register or change your entry on the list of electors by visiting your returning officer until [day -4] at 2:00 p.m.

For questions

During an election period, you can contact your returning officer. You can also contact us.

Other resources

The Charter of the French language and its regulations govern the consultation of English-language content.

Was this page useful to you?

  • Do not enter any personal information (name, e-mail, address, phone number, etc.).
  • We do not respond to comments. If you would like a response, please contact us.